Teenagers across the Vale of Evesham are being offered a unique chance to learn classical singing techniques under a new type of “musical apprenticeship” being offered by one of the leading choirs in Worcestershire.
The scheme is being offered to a small number of 14-18 year olds in the Pershore and Evesham areas by Pershore Choral in an attempt to interest a new, younger generation in the music of great composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Handel and Worcestershire’s own Sir Edward Elgar.
The scheme enables the new recruits to sing alongside experienced members of the choir both in rehearsals and during concerts in the magnificent setting of Pershore Abbey. The first Apprentices rehearsed and sang Elijah with us in May 2019. This is some of their feedback:-
The students expressed surprise at how hard they had to work, despite all being music students. A two hour rehearsal period with only a minimal break was intense and the music challenging. They were all keen to continue. The friendliness and welcoming support from our members was very much appreciated.
What did our Apprentices Enjoy About Their Time with Pershore Choral?
- The chance to sing a big piece like Elijah with a big choir – Not everyone wants to do this kind of thing so I’m proud and happy to be a part of it.
- Having the opportunity to be able to sing big pieces of choral music, to a high standard, and getting to know the members of the choir.
- I really enjoyed the style of music. I don’t normally listen to and the concert and soloists and the orchestra was amazing.
- I have really enjoyed the music we sung and everyone was really friendly and nice.
- I’ve really enjoyed the experience. It has been an amazing opportunity to get to sing such impressive music and to sing with so many other people, who I would never have met otherwise.
- Singing a big choral piece with a choir of this size was a fantastic experience – and to perform in the abbey with the orchestra was better still.
- The opportunity to develop sight singing and the final performance
- It has been a wonderful opportunity and experience; working with Pershore Choral, the orchestra and Mr Etherington.
Why have an Apprenticeship Scheme?
“Pershore Choral has a flourishing membership with around 120 members who come from a range of musical backgrounds and share a love of choral music. Written into our constitution is an undertaking to encourage young people to take part in choral singing and to offer them access to an environment which will help to educate them musically.
It is a struggle for all choral societies to attract younger members, but it is vitally important that we do so because they are the future and, without them, the inevitable outcome would be the end of choral singing,” said the choir’s Chairman, Ron Haden.
“Participating in any live music and singing is a wonderful experience, but we believe that nothing can match the sound and exhilaration of being part of a large choir which performs some of the most magnificent choral music ever written accompanied by a professional orchestra.”
This is what we offer at Pershore Choral under the expertise of our very talented Musical Director, Carleton Etherington and our Rehearsal Pianist, Tim Sidford.”
If you would like to know more about the scheme please contact our Membership Secretary Pam Pike on 01386 860726 or email firstname.lastname@example.org